Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, April 24, 2009

Good things

After todays appointments, I'm breathing a big sigh of relief.


Maybe it is the beautiful slightly chilled but sunny spring day in Boston. Maybe it's my travel partner, deb a long time family friend who always seems to exude peace. Or maybe its the summer sandals I splurged on for 25 bucks even though I said I wouldn't but couldn't stop myself.


They just looked and felt so right.


Whatever it is I feel and look good.


My prednisone perscription is in place to keep me feeling good and having energy.


There is a plan in place for continuity of care at dhmc for these chronic lifelong gvhd problems. Eventually, I will be weaned from the prednisone and attempt, again, to manage the problems symptomatically with a safety net in place and possibly an inpatient admission.


Now I'm good.


How can I tell?


I'm making plans! Future plans!


I'm not talking graduate school, but at least plans for the next couple weeks of my life.


With my health being so fragile any planning is a luxury I can not afford.


I can not predict flare ups, debilitating pain and fatigue.


What I can commit to one hour I am not be able to complete an hour later.


It forces me to live moment to moment, but it is not very easy to explain this to friends and loved ones who are far.


Of course, good things work themselves out and I am finally back to making some plans!

No comments: