Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Day Today

Today starts my big week of tests. At 7:30 I’m off with my father to see Dr. Dana at Mass. Eye and Ear. We have the directions. He has the garmin. We’re good to go for a road trip.
I’m embarking on a crusade to save my eyes.
Unfortunately, my advocacy for relieving the uncompensated care gap is going to have to take a back seat. I had the opportunity to speak today at 11am, but clearly, there is a conflict of interest.
I’m saving my eyes, but I want to make my stance clear, I support Senate Bill 158.
The problem of uncompensated care could create a public health nightmare. With cost shifting from government to hospital and then hospital to hospital there is also patient shifting.
I actually call it patient dumping. Patients will not be able to receive quality care quickly and efficiently. Trips to the emergency department will rise.
What happened on Friday at Rite Aid Pharmacy could be likened to any run on a bank.
Hospitals will not be able to afford to treat the sick. This could plummet out health care system into the dark ages.
Moving back to the family, I plan to get Xander Despereaux on the ride home.
It’s a movie about a brave mouse. He saw it in the theatre and loves it. The plan is to buy it and watch it this evening with Xander.
He needs a reminder to be brave this week.
His appointment with Dr. Ryder went well. His ear drums are inflamed, impairing his hearing. This is due to his recent ear infections. He’ll see an audiologist at the end of the month and then he will see Dr. Ryder again.
We’ll discuss options then based on the results of the audiology (hearing) test.
That’s the day today. I’ll keep you updated on our adventures.
Just in case you didn't know, I'm taking the opportunity to rub this in, UNC Men WON IT last night. They were my top pick, but I had UCONN in the finals. At least th UCONN Women were in it to win it.

No comments: