Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ankh & Onke

The Ankh  is a looped Tau Cross and an old Egyptian hieroglyph meaning life


For many civilizations using this symbol, the loop represented the sun and it was held by many gods including Atum, the sun-god of Heliopolis. The loop is also a perfect symbol that has neither beginning nor end, so it represents the eternal soul.

The entire symbol is also a key, to unlock hidden mysteries in the Kingdom of the Dead and was often used in funeral rites. The symbol also represents the Tree of Life, with its trunk and foliage.
Even more interestingly is the belief that the ankh is the Egyptian sign of life and indicates that the King or God holding it has the power to give life or take it away from lesser mortals.
Anke, pronounced the same, is my 28 year old GERMAN bone marrow donor!!
And apparently, the woman who had the power to give or take away my life.
How cool?! I was just able to learn her identity today, because I didn't send my paperwork work earlier.
My bad.
Even more oddly is I've been having the urge to draw this symbol recently.  Not for any reason at all other than I like the looks and symbolism.
I remember doodling these alot in junior high. Heather had a long necklace with a huge Ankh during the same time.
It was the same time I got mono and started to get TIRED.
Interesting how these things happen. I don't think it's all coincidence.
I'll have to start on my letter.

1 comment:

Loraine Ritchey said...

My son Chris had mono and I am sure it is part of trigger for HL and has something to do with the regfractory HL- I don't know why but my gut tells me that - I really think they should be looking more into that aspect of this damned disease- maybe they are it was all too quick with my son- and I am too raw to do any research on this but I sure hope to heaven someone is!