Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, October 8, 2010

GOOD NEWS!!!

Congratulations to me!
I've been nominated and selected to be Monadnock's Woman of the Month!
What an honor.
 I am so excited and humbled that people know and respond to my experiences and the causes I advocate for.
I want to thank Beth Truman who officially nominated me, and apparently, knows quite a lot about me.

Here is her note nominating me:


I'd like to nominate Hillary St. Pierre to be a Monadnock Celebrated Woman of the Month.  Hillary is 27 years old and, despite a very daunting cancer diagnosis, has become a very active advocate for patient rights, specifically those of cancer patients, and also continues to work tirelessly towards her goal of creating Hillary's House.  Hillary's House will be "like Dartmouth Medical's David's House where people can stay while their family members undergo treatment or adult patients of Norris Cotton can stay while they're receiving treatment or recovering while getting frequent check-ups."  Hillary also assisted in saving NH from cutting its Catastrophic Illness Insurance program, advocated for an increase in the cigarette tax, and her testimony helped influence the decision to create an on-line insurance comparison website:http://www.nhhealthcost.org.  She is an involved mother and wife as well, and is an exemplary role model for us all.  To learn even more about how she contributes to the community in spite of her daily battles you can read her blog atwww.baldiesblog.blogspot.com.  She was recently honored at the Pink at the Park Swamp Bats game where she threw out the first pitch and she and her friends and family members collected signatures to add to her application to ABC's Extreme Makeover to help have Hillary's House built.  It is absolutely amazing to me that someone could have such big dreams even in the face of such enormous adversity.  She, to me, embodies exactly the kind of woman that should be celebrated. 

WIth warmest regards, 
Beth Truman

I AM SPEECHLESS. . .. for once! I bet you didn't believe that could happen. It's been a while since I felt such joy and excitement.

I'm most thankful that this nomination will draw attention to the causes I advocate for and will hopefully spread understanding regarding the struggles patients endure while living with cancer, especially in this new age where more and more young people are being diagnosed and trying to live normally as long as possible while maintaining the disease instead of seeking a cure.  

This time is the best time to reach for the stars to achieve my biggest dreams. As Monadnock Women's site quotes, "The Future Depends on what we do with the present." -Gandi

See more at https://sites.google.com/site/monadnockwomen/about-us

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice nomination! Congratulations Hilary whether you win or not!

Anonymous said...

Ditto that! You go, girl!
Carol