Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, December 12, 2010

I wrote a post Friday.
Actually, to be more concise, my raging fever wrote a post Friday, and it put all sorts of angry hateful things in it that I knew could be hurtful.
I took it down quickly.
What happened was. . . .
I forgot to ask for handwitten narcotic scripts last time I sawmy heme team so I called two days later to have the scripts mailed.
Due to laws, narcotic prescriptions must have a handwritten signiture. It can't be faxed or from a computer. It must be signed sealed and delivered.
Well it wasn't and I was pissed.
I had to ration my pain control.
I wasn't taking the 60 mg of long acting morphine I usually take during the day.
I was taking regular morphine to cover it, and I was uncomofrtable.
I was a 4 or 5 on a scale of ten on the best week I've had in months due to a series of mistakes.
On Friday my body couldn't handle the stress anymore.
I started to feel chilled.
I starated to feeel whoozy and lightheaded.
I think it was around 6pm I started to spike a fever.
I grabbed some ice cold water and went to Lexi's first basketball game of the season. She's asked me herself to come, and there was  no way I was missing that.
I  lost count of how many points she scored, but their team won 26-4.
The rest of the girls on her team are huge too. I think they have a good season coming up if they can refine some basic moves and plays.
After that it was holiday gift buying extravaganzaa at Brynn's house and I wasn't about to miss that.
Not that I could afford to buy anything.
I'm strictly dedicated to making my own jewelry.
Pampered chef was there, as well as Mary K.
Brynn sells Mary K so if any body is ever looking for a representative let me hook you up with her.
Long story short, my temp spiked to 101 by 9pm and my mom and I took a drive to DHMC ER, where I got the full work up: pneumonia, septicemia, eti, etc etc.
AND FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN MY LIFE, my counts were good, nothing was showing up except some clear symptoms of a sinus infection and I was discharged home!!!!!!
I had oral antibiotics for my sinus infection and a plan to continue with the heme team on monday.
Well, now it's Sunday, and guess whose blood cultures have grown out some sort of unknown bacteria?
Yes, yours truly.
That's a twofer. I've never been discharged home from the ER and I have never had growth on a blood culture. I guess there is a first time for everything.
Thank goodness I'd been blessing myself with Holy Water all day. Say Prayers.

1 comment:

linda keenan said...

you seemed upset but it didnt seem 'hateful' to me.
xoxo - linda k