Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, December 24, 2010

Resolution? What resolution?

Xander has been diagnosed.
He's dyslexic.
He fits the textbook definition almost perfectly, which is a "severe difference (somewhere between 15-30) in IQ and reading/writing performance."
At least that's the way I remember it, but I'm checking it just in case.
WHOA. Wait a second. Wikipedia says IQ and dyslexia have nothing to do with eachother.
Hmmm. This is the problem with science. Nothing can quite keep up. 
If causes are under "theories" can you really define what it is? I mean, if you don't know where it comes from can it still be defined?
That sounds like a silly question.
Clearly we know Hodgkin's is Hodgkin's even though we don't know where it came from, but there are still pieces missing to our definitions of Hodgkin's too.
Like the cure, Thank you.
That's what I'd like for Christmas.
It's odd to me that a disease first written about in 1666 (creepy, I know), more thoroughly studied in the 1830's would not come with a cause.
The only (TWO) other cancers then had clear causatation, something like naso-pharyngeal cancer and smoking.
Most cancers appeared after the industrial revolution when pollutants were increased in the air wit unknown long term side effects.
So, in theory here,if someone can go back and find the pollutants in the area of the first diagnosis of Hodgkin's in 1830s (or any and all environmental descriptions) they'd be that much closer to finding a cause.
Then that information could be cross referenced with environmental descriptions of areas with known clusters, such as my neighborhood.
Eventually, I would broaden the search and cross reference all blood cancers.
Since my diagnosis in 2006, three other people within a mile radius have been diagnosed with a blood cancer requiring a bone marrow transplant. I am confidant saying that something within this immediate area is causing bone marrow failure.
I was first diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in April 2006.
The following year in Carol Snelling was diagnosed with Leukemia in her 50s. She also resides on River Rd 3/4mile from my home and had for decades. She was residing here. She passed away during her transplant.
Twenty-one year old Ashley Jordan was diagnosed after that. Her hodgkin's disease also reoccured after initial therapy. She required a auto-transplant and remains in remission.
Then, of course,how could anyone forget Andy? X's very best friend in first grade. He was diagnosed with leukemia requiring a transplant. He had a form rarely seen in children, but commonly seen in adults, such as Carroll Snelling.
So I've never really been a resolution girl.
I've more been an idea girl.
It's easier to make goals around the new year.
It also fits in with the weather and season. 
I beat you can tell what I'm now looking into. Just for kicks. And I think it's time I started writing more again too.



No comments: