Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Isn't it Ironic

Oh, the irony of it all.
I was discharged from the hospital Tuesday evening later than I ever expected.
My fate had gone back and forth all day so when 4:30 pm came with the announcement of "Okay, we're sending you home tonight." I was a little surprised.
Of course, I told them everybody who could pick me up was working so not to worry about me. . .
but anyway, that's a tangent.
It was perfect timing. J had a meeting and was driving South on I-89 when I called with the good news.
Or so I thought it was good news.
I thought it was good news until 4 am when I heard a little voice saying, "I think I'm going to be sick."
It might as well have been a fire. It may have well been a bomb threat the way I whipped out of bed and screamed, "Get to the toilet!"
There are very few things that can make a person move faster than the threat of being vomited on in the early am.
They should make an alarm clock special for parents of young children with the sound of a child gagging or hurling.
When that stops working, they could have that same clock squirt just a little water onto their hips or thighs.
That's always a surprise too.
I don't remember if he threw up in the toilet.
Auto-mom was turned on.
I know I put him in the bath (didn't you know a bath fixes everything?), and found a couple "sick buckets."
After the bath I made the obligatory "floor bed" in the living room and got X a water bottle full of ginger ale in between vomiting.
Thankfully, he was all done with the hurling by 5:30 so I put in a movie and fell asleep.
I don't remember what time he woke me up again.
I do know I was up by 8 am calling the school and then the in-laws.
Thank goodness for good in-laws. They've been worth their weight in gold these past couple years.
By 8:30 he was out of my hands and onto theirs, during my father-in-law's vacation no less.
I wish I could say that was the end of it, but you all know this girl can not get a break.
What did X have this morning?
A temperature. Ugh. Isn't that supposed to come on first?
And it wasn't high enough to keep him on the couch all day, no he thought he could play and wear me out.
Not so, I never thought I'd be a parent that said this, but thank goodness for video games and an extremely autonomous 7 year old (the kid can feed himself meals if he needs to).
Now, I'm off for some much deserved good nights rest.

No comments: