Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, September 28, 2009

An Agoraphobe at the Pot Protest


An Agoraphobe at the Pot Protest

Being healthy enough to run around like a semi-normal twenty-seven year old (I don’t think, even under the best circumstances, I would be considered “normal”) it is pretty clear this whole experience has created an agorophobe in me.

An agorophobe is defined as a person with a phobia of containment or the inability to escape from situations.

In psyche 101 an example of an agoraphobe was someone who couldn’t stand being on the George Washington Bridge.

I call this person sane.

The GW is scary. If something happens at either end and you are on it, start calling your loved ones, you are screwed.

I guess I have always had an agoraphobe in me, making me have adverse reactions to bridges, boats, and relationships.

Now it has gotten out of hand.

The phobes that make the news are the severe cases, the ones who can not leave their homes due to the fear of everything.

I’m starting to fear everything.

It is because everything is a threat.

I swear if there is 1000 sq/ft of open space some person will walk within 2 ft of me, sneeze/sniffle/cough in my ear just about sending me jumping out of my skin.

I’m going to start heading out in a mask or just not heading out at all.

It’s not just fear of illness either, it’s fear of other’s inconsiderate behavior, like the woman at the orchard smoking under the tent.

All I wanted to do was take X apple picking.

Nope, can’t do that without some woman lighting up sitting within five feet of me under a canvas tent.

Being as tactful as I am (and having taken my marinol and morphine to go out) I started talking about her misbehavior loudly as if she had deliberately lit the cigarette to facilitate my lungs failing.

Those drugs really cloud my judgement.

She did put out her cig.

I think she would have remembered the event more clearly if my lungs had actually started to fail and I ended up gasping for breath at her feet.

That would be a deterrent.

Speaking of smoking and marinol, there have been pot protest in Keene, home of NH’s serious state school, Keene State College.

Every day at 4:20 pm a group has been smoking it up on the green to prove the police will not arrest large quantities of peaceful pot smokers.

The number of town tokers are growing, and no jibba smoking arrests have been made.

Really, I agree, arresting people for small, personal quantities of marijuana is a useless waste of resources.

I haven’t voiced my opinion in the decriminalization debate because I didn’t want to detract from the more important message I hope to send regarding healthcare reform.

My opinion is this: decriminalize it in small quantities. Treat it like alcohol and only make arrests if it is being abused.

There is a reason people hear about cancer patients screaming and hollering about how marijuana made them feel so much better.

It’s because it does.

However, if you are truly in a position where you are sick enough to require THC, it will be prescribed.

That’s all I am saying.

No comments: