Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, September 13, 2009


I'm fine.
I have been recovering.
I have just been a big grouch.
I haven't even wanted to hang out with myself.
I decided that since I didn't have anything nice to say. . . . . .
I wouldn't say anything at all.
Last night I forced myself to think of all the things that make me happy (still). Here's a couple: football & soccer season, fan emails and inspirational comments, my family and friends, especially the ones who still love me no matter what kind of mood I'm in, my M&Ms (that'd be morphine and marinol), and shopping.
I was getting concerned about my state of mind since, even though I've gained a few pounds and have outgrown my pants, I was refusing to shop.
It just didn't have any appeal.
I finally did get some clothes that fit and I DO feel better.
There is nothing worse than having pneumonia making breathing difficult, diffuse cancer pain, and then getting a reminder every time you try to get dressed that you've put on some pudge so none of your clothes fit.
Not that I'm dissin' the pudge, I'm proud and I'm keeping it.
It was time I gained some lovely lady lumps.
Shopping, however, was not so great for my self esteem either since my legs are such little stubs that anything marked "capri" or "cropped" in the normal section I consider my jeans.
I have three pairs of jeans that are actually labeled capri, ankle, cropped, whatever.
What can I say, my body is just a little off.
I did buy more leggings, which I absolutely love and plan on making part of my sick girl uniform. They're warm, like thermal underwear, and I can throw on a dress (aka nightgown) over it.
How could I not love that. Leggings will also grow and shrink with me appropriately.
No worries, I promise not to abuse the legging privilege by wearing them inappropriately.
We all know what I'm talking about.
I'll rock them like a SoHo New Yorker. Really, you can take the girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the girl

5 comments:

JANE OWEN said...

Love ya ! You've certainly made me feel better today. i grew up in a small town of 25k, but I lived in town, so I do consider myself a city girl. lol

Jane Owen

Anonymous said...

you need a campfire. --jacob

Anonymous said...

"No worries, I promise not to abuse the legging privilege by wearing them inappropriately." priceless. from a chick who used to live on Grand St in Soho but has been priced out to the lower eschalon of south brooklyn. rock them leggings, sister1

Jessie O said...

something tells me you look adorable in leggings and have the good sense to know how to wear them. i keep jeans sizes 10-16 around at all times because I never know what the chemo/life is gonna do to my metabolism and it's important to be a sexy (leggings and nightgowns qualify) cancer patient at all times.

Anonymous said...

You don't know me. I'm a complete stranger who is Facebook friends with Linda Erin Keenan. I've been following your blog intermittently through her promptings. I admire your strength and your humor.

Ted Kinnaman