Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cancer Sutra

I’ve just learned some great factoids to encourage all the baldies out there to have more sex. First, some patients have seen dramatic increases in their red blood cells post orgasm. Also, Wilkes University in Penn. Says that individuals who have sex once or twice a week show 30% higher levels of the antibody Immunoglobulin A, which is known to boost the immune system.
These stats come from my new favorite book “Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips.” I’m hesitant about recommending the book, because she’s a lot like me. I don’t want you cheating on me with Khris Carr people, but there might be enough love for both of us.
I don’t personally need these types of statistics to keep me motivated, but all you other cancer patients, go get some.
No zoning out. Pay attention to what feels good. Work out some scandalous semi-public, but in private, place.
Okay, so fatigue, isolations, restrictions, and a general feeling of ichyness may stop you from the public thing, but do not shelve yourself so you have to knock the dust off before getting some play.
Sex is life affirming. It is distracting. It makes me feel normal.
I spend a lot of time feeling distracted, isolated, thinking about the odds and my life. I need some way to get all this craziness out of my head.
I am restricted if my platalets are 50,000 or less. I’m also a little restricted, because my husband wants to treat me like I’m broken. I hate this. I want to make things better. I want him to be taken care of.
I understand he’s afraid of losing me. I can deal with snuggling for a while as long as I get some love. I’m also pretty confident in his inability to turn me down.
This is a still a difficult, taboo subject on my cancer planet. I’m sure thousands out there are having similar issues, 70,000 young adults between the ages of 20-30 are diagnosed every year. It's the largest disease killer between the ages of 20 & 40
I recommend, you go bang out your problems patients.

No comments: