Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, October 10, 2008

Discharge Day


I’m up again, bright and early. The same morning routine pulled me out of bed, but I’m handling it better today. Today I get discharged! Yes, that is my reward for coming through my transplant without serious side effects. I get to take myself over to the Best Western on Longwood. I’ll be staying there for about another two weeks, until the point of engraftment. This is the point where I can stop taking my neupogen (which promotes cell growth), and my donors immune system has taken over mine.
Until then, if you’re in bean town, you know where to find me. There are some rules. My room is clean. I need to protect myself. Do not come visit if you are sick, think you may be getting sick, or have been exposed to someone who is sick. You must wash or purrell your hands on entering, and wear a mask. That’s the price you have to pay to visit. What’s a little sacrifice for me?
On a deep, theoretical level, I’m a little bit confused. Do I still have an identical twin? I ablated my own immune system years ago, and now I’m beating down Heather’s for someone new. We’re not going to have the same genetic code.
What exactly does this make us to each other? Either way, she’s still my girl for life, and hopefully, the “unfortunate” traits in the cellular memory of her marrow are now out of my system.
I think we all wish, at some point, that the someone in our life could undergo this process and get their undesirable traits out of their system, that we could somehow re-infuse in them characteristics we knew and loved.
That person gets to be me. So, no more feisty outbursts. It’s out of my system. I’m pretty sure I’ll keep my general weaknesses. If you don’t know what those are, I’m not telling.
So, like I learned in school, discharge teaching does really start on the day of admission here. On day one, I told the PA all my at-home meds that needed refilling and she wrote scripts. Those scripts have been filled and are with me now. I received more yesterday to be filled today prior to my discharge.
This erases a lot of anxiety in the transition process. I have everything I could get here, and if anything happens, I am just down the street.
What am I watching out for exactly?
Fevers, over 100.5, those will get me readmitted. Uncontrolled nausea, inability to eat or drink in sufficient amounts, vomiting or diarrhea are all worth a phone call to the doctor. Beyond that, anything out of the ordinary, I tend to err on the side of caution. I’ve come this far, I wouldn’t want my fear of looking like a paranoid idiot get in the way of my health.
Life is good so far today. Remember that as you go about your life. Thanks for all the support and love.

5 comments:

Frank said...

You go GIRL!! I think this is such a wonderful day ... as for you, I for one do not buy for a minute, that your "feisty outbursts" are a thing of the past!! NO WAY!! Who is going to straighten us out if you do that?!?!?!?!?

Nope!! We'll keep you as you are. Full of spirit & spunk!!

I've been watching the sunrise over the ocean ... thinking that it is the dawn of a great day ... I'm proud of you for your spunky, sassy & yes, feisty ways!! So I will say again ... GO GIRL!!

Meaghan said...

Woo hoo for discharge day!! Im so happy for you!! Keep that smile on your face, and make sure you laugh - a LOT!! I'm thinking about you each and every day Hill!! Lots of love, Meaghan xoxoxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Yippie! Happy and excited for you....you look and sound great! Happy rebirth and the first day of the rest of your healthy, happy, loving life~Life!!
God Bless
pauline and scott

Anonymous said...

You are a star!!!!...you think we have been helping you...??You are helping us....So quick you are in to the next step...I am just amazed..you, the hospital and the angels have worked so well together.You and your sister have bonded in so many ways..it is an energetic, historical,spiritual heart connection...you don't need the cells to connect..you are connected anyway.can't wait to hear about the next 2 weeks. By the way..who do we credit for the wonderful camera work...?? Love you! Deb Weatherby

Anonymous said...

You Rock! My thoughts have been woith you right along. I check your blog daily. You have to be the most amazing and strongest woman in the world. Kudos! Kendal and Xander got to play yesterday. Jean was excited to see him. I wish you all the best for your re-birthday!

Becca