Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, October 20, 2008

I almost got killed by an ambulance

I almost got killed by an ambulance.
Wouldn’t that have been ironic?
I’m a 2 million dollar woman after all my health care, and then I get t-boned by an ambulance when I’m going north on Brookline.
It happened just like in the movies and commercials. We were driving along, going through a green light and then WHOA!
Headlights. Right next to my window. A siren and a horn blaring.
Whoa. I really thought I was going to die right there.
All I could do was laugh after my escape from death. Allen decided to make jokes to the cabbie. He was talking about “Those crazy ambulances” and “they think they own the road.”
I couldn’t even talk.
This was almost a year ago, but it’s memorable while I’m sitting in my hotel room, listening to the hundreds of ambulances driving by wailing.
I can actually sleep through this kind of noise. I have experience.
My dad can also sleep through them, but I think he’s a little on the deaf side.
It keeps both Jon and my mother up for nights. It constantly reminds me of where I am.
Where was I a year ago when I almost got flattened? I’d all ready relapsed from my first transplant. I’d all ready gone an extra round of radiation to keep my cancer contained. I was praying it wouldn’t pop up next time outside the radiation field, but it did. Maybe not the next time, but at least the time after that.
I hope I can look back in the future and get the joke. I want to understand the irony. I can all ready laugh at myself, but I’d like to see the reason.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hillary,
Don't waste time wondering about the vicissitudes of life. Life just is. And sometimes it's a crap shoot.
But you have the guts and courage to kick butt.
So keep smiling, girl.
We are all rooting for you.
Carol