Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Xander's Ideas

My son has some serious plans for me when I am no longer sick. I don’t know what I’ve done to encourage these plans, but he’s beginning to tell all the woman mother figures in his life that we will be adopting two children, a brother and a sister, five and six, named Isabella and Jacob.
He’s not discussed this with my husband, and I’m getting the impression, Xander may not have even included him in these plans. He has included me, my sister, Nana, Alissa, and Jen. These are all the woman who are regularly involved in taking care of him right now.
I think he is informing the woman who will likely be caring for him and the two siblings.
My husband will be horrified. He hasn’t been a big supporter of my, and now Xander’s, idea of adopting. Xander can just keep it as a fantasy right now. I’m making no commitments.
Is this normal though? Do only children at some point decide that it’s wrong not to have siblings. This is the argument Xander makes. Jon says once you get a sister, you’re going to want to return her, but isn’t that the whole idea. He can learn to share and conflict resolution within the family.
Who knows. X’s plans won’t be happening anytime soon.
I feel bad today. I ache. My head and hips hurt. I think the bone pain is associated with the neupogen. I’m tired. I’m pale. I’m pretty confidant I’ll be getting a transfusion today.
I’m leaving for the clinic at 8 am. I’ll receive my methotrexate, and at some point, see Heidi, the Physician’s Assistant. She’ll say I’m doing great and send me back on my way.
Heather is coming today. She’s a busy girl so I don’t see her as much as I’d like. I can’t be around Pierce so we can only hang out in one hour slots while Mom goes for a walk with P.
Killy might be coming by later too. She picked up some beads so we can make jewelry. I decided, maybe, I need an other hobby. I’ll see how long my focus on that lasts. Sometimes I think I have ADD.
This will keep me away from my computer, which has recently become my new best friend. I started to suspect something was wrong yesterday when I didn’t bring my computer to the clinic and went into withdrawals.
I was sending longing glances at the other computers. I am certainly a person that requires an active hobby.
So here’s the summary for my day, make sure to say your prayers that I will feel better since I’m not feeling so great right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure have all my prayers that you feel better today!!! Maybe the transfusion will help you regain some energy. I laughed at Xander's plans especially the ages, he does not want any crying babies around that's for sure!! Keep up the great work healing!! Lots of love Laura

Anonymous said...

I would chalk X's plans up to creativity..it sounds as if he is well cared for..maybe he wants more kids around. I am praying for you right now..Love, Deb Weatherby

Anonymous said...

Definitely a phase that every child with no siblings goes through-or if they have no sister (my daughter), they want one of those! They want pets at some point, too...it's that "he's got one, so why can't we, too?" issue. Ugh!
Glad to hear your #'s are good and no transfusion needed! You're doing Great!! Keep it up! We're always thinking of you!
Heidi W.--"Zutter niece"--