Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

STOMP OUT CANCER

Did you know the color of the lymphoma ribbon is aqua blue? Yes, as in Tiffany’s blue, the color of my living room walls, or my favorite color.
There is so much I can do with this color. It’s the color of larimar, which I just happen to be able to get my hands on relatively cheap. If I needed it cheaper, I don’t have any problem picking up some friends and trekking down to DR to get in good on the inside.
I have plans, and the Dominican Republic is one of my favorite islands, if it comes to that. I have a lot of nice jewelry designs. I have a friend, who does great jewelry designs. I think we can raise some good money for a good cause.
Not so many people are interested in blood cancers. Blood cancers are much more theoretical than say, breast cancer. Breast cancer possesses a clear cut picture of what is wrong. That’s probably why it’s such a popular cause, nobody wants to lose anything representing womanhood, but I can’t just drain my blood or chop off tumors to fix me. My blood is integral to my survival, whether it has cancer in it or not.
We need to change the diseases image.
Honestly, if I could isolate a tumor, get it out of my body, I would throw it on the floor and give it a beat down. I’d kick it. I’d stomp it out.
Stomping Out Cancer is a concept my 5 year old thought of. He ran around the house stomping and screaming “STOMP OUT CANCER! STOMP OUT CANCER!”
I think this is a great idea.
I think we should do a fundraiser at The Hopkins Center For the Arts, Manhattan style, as in posh and classy. We’ll call it “Stomp Out Cancer.” We’ll arrange for the performers of “Stomp” to play. I think they would be appropriate.
I’ve seen them before in the early millennium, when the performance was very vogue. I still love the context, I think it could be popular with a wide variety of people.
We’ll send the proceeds to Dartmouth Hitckcock Norris Cotton Cancer Center.
We’ll sell some jewelry and scarves. We’ll present and advertise with “lymphoma girl” who I found on line. Chloe, she’s a cancer vixen, a cute little crusader against lymphoma. Her picture is above right.
I heard that, unfortunately, a very well loved successful woman has lost her life to cancer. Unfortunately, another one bites the dust, but I believe that her family, friends loves ones do not want her death to be in vain.
They should join me and my loving supporters. Numbers have power. I want to get some support in being active in changing the system. It’s a system I think needs minor, inexpensive changes to be successful and user friendly. I think Norris Cotton is the perfect place to sneak in our ideas. It is a successful, comfortable cancer center. It has a huge potential in being a staple of our region alongside Dartmouth College that hasn’t entirely been embraced yet.
I think we should facilitate some change. My girl is working on finding out that this woman is. There was a radio piece on Monday, but I haven’t found any information in the Upper Valley online. My resources are kind of limited here, but my big idea could happen.
I just need a few connections.

1 comment:

sara maccioli said...

Hi Hillary,
i may be able to help you out...are you talking about the pink radio-athon they did live monday from Dartmouth hospital? if so let me know i may be able to connect you to some info.
keep your chin up!!!
sara maccioli