Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, October 17, 2008

My Men are Coming!

Jon and Xander are coming, right now, as we speak. I am so excited. I hadn’t allowed myself to get excited. We’re a little concerned how we’re going to keep out little maniac on lock in the hotel room. They’re bringing the WII so we can all play together. We have tennis, bowling, boxing, and Mario cart.
I want the WII fit too, but they’re impossible to get. The fit has a fitness program where you can do yoga and play soccer.
I got the WII originally to help with my husband’s rehab after his surgery, and to assist me in getting into shape after mine.
I got some flack for this decision from people who didn’t believe there was any use other than playing video games on the WII. I tried to explain that many rehabilitation hospitals have them to help people heal physically after surgery. The Jimmy fund room has one too. I don’t think they believed me.
Whatever.
How about those Sox people? I have to say I was disappointed by my man Lester. I didn’t think he was the type to choke under pressure, but it looks like he did. It also looks like they could repeat history.
Anyway, there are only 64 shopping days left until Christmas, just thought you all should know. I have started shopping, online. I will probably be doing all my shopping online only, at least I can bump up my upromise account. EBAY.com has some great deals. Check out the Larimar.
I will not be making my yearly trip to NYC to shop for the finer things my friends should have. I keep telling myself I will stop by stolen and counterfeit goods. It’s bad for my soul. But it’s so damn good for my self esteem, and I really enjoy the girl bonding time I get out of it.
My hundredth day, the day I’m set free to eat at restaurants (okay I start with pizza) and breathe in public, is slated for January 18, 2009.
Ironically, this was day zero from my first transplant, My first rebirthday. I have a lot to celebrate that day. I’m feeling pretty confidant about my success this time. I don’t know if there will be an iconic StPierre party like there was the first time my hundred days ended. I’ve been in and out of remission too much to party like a rockstar, but I’m sure we can have an informal gathering. We’ll have to keep the numbers under 200. Thank goodness I don’t really have neighbors, and the ones I do within a half a mile are invited.
This was ultimately the appeal of living isolated in the woods. Among the other reasons, such as I can garden in my underwear, but it never fails that somebody decides to go walking on the trails while I’m out. I can also run around like a hippie with bare feet in the ran. My son and I can go jogging in the drizzle and he can roll around in the mud.
When Xander was younger, he started exhibiting some of Jon’s qualities, like refusing to get dirty. I’d take him outside and force him to hop in puddles and jump in the mud. I’d make him play excavating in the sand box in the rain.
I’m a down and dirty girl. My child needs to follow suit.
So I’m very excited my man and my child will be with me soon. Saturday I have a clinic appointment and X will go with my sister to the Salem’s kidfest.
Heather is on my shitlist a little bit. I love my sister. I’m fiercely loyal to her. I’ve always got her back. And I don’t understand why because she can be a big pain in my ass. I love her visits. She always makes me happy, but she’s refusing to do my laundry. She lives twenty minutes away. She says she is not my laundry service. Laundry service is available at the front desk for $1.50 a lb.
I have enough to pay for all ready. I don’t want to pay for laundry service when she could do it for free. I’ve dropped over a $1500 for the hotel, not including gas for travel, food, child care (which I no longer pay for because Alissa and Jen ROCK).
I do have the money. Thank you everybody for contributing. You’ve been a God send. I’m so blessed, but I’m not going to live it up with laundry service on your cash when I have an able bodied person who could do it for free.
So mom’s taking my clothes home for me this weekend, I’ll see them on Sunday when my father comes down to take care of me. I’m being supervised on a rotational basis. I’m starting to be okay with this. My parents are a huge blessing.
However, I just discovered, that my mom has not been using the credit/debit card I gave to her prior to my treatments. She will need to be reimbursed at some point. My medications alone, in copays, were more than $200. I don’t know what else she is paying for, but that was not the plan. I love her for taking chanrge, but I wish she would allow me to take care of myself, at least financially. I have a financial plan. I will never starve or lose my house. My son will always be taken care of. So I’m good in that respect. Thanks to the support and love of my community.
I’m getting up and showering and getting pretty since my men will be here soon. Kisses to everybody.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having your men come visit. I know that you have missed them, as they have missed you.
I hope you all have an awesome day!
Carol

Anonymous said...

I saw Jon and X at Jean's last night. She is spoiling theme here you know. Brownies and banana bread and I heard something in the works about Shepards Pie for next week. Kendal was probably not as excited to see X as Molly was. She made her Gram leave and Jean had to bring her home so she could stay and play with X. I am happy to hear you are on the upswing today! Enjoy your time with your boys!

Take care.

Becca

Anonymous said...

Hey love! Have fun with your men this weekend! Love you lots!
Grace

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful day with your boys! I am sure you are all incredibly excited to see one another!!!

Have Fun!
Beth

Anonymous said...

You sound soooo good today! Have a great weekend with your family! :) hugs!