Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, November 8, 2008

As a Bald Woman. . .

As a bald woman, I am going to stand up and say, “People, stop disrespecting your hair.”
Take it from somebody who doesn’t have any.
Moms, patients, workers: You are still a beautiful independent woman.
Do not lose yourself to your job, children, and husband. You don’t want to lose yourself to the hum drum of the rat race.
Having a Family, a disease, or job and good looks are not mutually exclusive. It’s time to realize that you can be comfortable, low maintenance, thrifty, and attractive.
Yes, ladies, we can have it all.
I’ve been staging interventions left and right on offenders. My sister’s turn is coming tonight at 6 pm.
To all you ladies out there: Stop disrespecting the bald women by not appreciating your beautiful masses of hair!
I’ve gotten my messages through to three of my best friends so far, one has elegantly eased away from her sweatshirts to fitted long sleeve shirts or t-shirts with gauzy comfortable materials and a rare garnishment. That’s all it takes.
She started with a new haircut for a new attitude and added a new designer purse with a matching silk shirt and scarf. Now she’s off and running.
Find a great coat to throw over it and you are good to go anywhere, and you can still keep your jeans and comfy shoes.
If you’re looking to get wild with the shoes, payless has great jazzy flats. Flats are as comfortable as running shoes for chasing kids.
If you want some great clothes for pennies, thrift stores are stocked. Go in knowing what’s instyle (Read the mag first). I guarantee you’ll get what you were looking for for less than the $250 it said in the rag.
Total cost for treating my friend to a make-over: Haircut $26, Designer Purse $35, Silk Shirt $8, Scarf $5 or $74. New shoes could have been included for $10. Then we just work with what is in the closet.
I’m intervening with these woman with “mommy make-overs” or “Can-Start-Overs” and “Can-cer-over make over”
I’m having so much fun. Sign-up. I have nothing better to do than suggest how to get you stylin’
I don’t want you beautiful woman to catch cases of babyitis, frumpitis, busyitis or plan old boredom. It’s an abomination women forget who they are, their pre-baby talents, and their attractiveness.
Keep the rockstar looks and your self esteem.
Sound simple? If anyone needs a bit more, comment, and I’ll provide it. All it takes is whatever you have for a budget & creativity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should be a professional! she looks great! :)

Anonymous said...

Love your total image approach...we need that inspiration also for the women with alopecia areata who cannot grow hair normally...some losing all body hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.I advocate and help them through the only nonprofit created for these women. I named the organization Bald Girls Do Lunch and we're at baldgirlsdolunch.org Some had the condition since childhood and never got the knack of putting a look together. Others may lose all hair as an adult ( and it repeatedly and unpredictably grow in and fall out again, too) and take such a blow to the self-image that it's a struggle to feel feminine again.

Thea