Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, November 24, 2008

Relationship Restrictions

“Love is supposed to be ridiculous, spontaneous, and beautiful.” -Anonymous
Relationships should be placed on the post transplant restriction list.
It should appear right next to gardening and crowds.
The new rule could state: No dating or spousal stress for a minimum of 100 days to one year post transplant.
Alcoholics Anonymous has this rule. Relationships take a lot of energy that should be focused elsewhere, for example, yourself and getting better.
A person should know who they are, what they want, and how to meet their needs before trying to dedicate themselves to another person.
I think the nation should take note of this. We Americans should be able to take care of ourselves and our citizens before we go throwing money and services at other countries.
Back to the subject.
The health implications of stress can be catastrophic to an immune system that all ready does not know if it’s coming or going.
Stress makes people immunocompromised. It increases the release of your natural steroids.
This is why people get sick over the holidays, after a funeral, or during finals (you all will be just fine).
Look at what happened to me. I had one BAD day and BOOM, back to the hospital I go with a respiratory infection.
I’m always telling myself, “I’m not going to deal with this right now.” Whatever this is.
I don’t think I’m able to dedicate myself anyone at this point. I’m too focused on me. I’m in “survival mode.”
I also wonder, “If I let go of my feelings, would I lose the little control I have left?”
I share just about everything, but every girl needs a little something for herself. Just call me “hush-hush” on this subject (and some others ;)) I like to keep secrets.
Moral of the story, in sickness, expect yourself, your spouse, your daughter, mother, sister, etc. to be a little selfish. It’s a survival mechanism. Relationships cannot always be 50/50, some days it needs to be 90/10.

No comments: