Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Confession Time

I fake being healthy to get out of the hospital.
If I’m well enough to convince my doctor I’m healthy for five minutes, I’m well enough to take care of myself at home.
There are some things I can’t hide, like blood counts or fevers, but just about any other symptom is up for grabs.
I’m pretty confidant the Doc’s at DHMC were on to me. I was under their care for a very long time.
I don’t think DF has found me out yet.
Now they have. Hi Melissa.
I’m so sorry you have to be in charge of me while I confess what a bad girl I am.
I promise I would never risk my life to get discharged.
I couldn’t find my cables to show the videos.
I think it may be the cosmos editing me. There is a fine line between sharing and scaring.
I’m doing much better. Thank you.
I did prescribe myself a case of the giggles last night. The medication is called marinol, and I will drink gallons of water if I take it.
I refused this medication for a while, until I sucked it up, remembered narcotics were also severely illegal and I had no problem taking them. I also like the idea of plant based medications.
I should have taken it earlier.
If you are a cancer a transplant patient, you can not smoke weed. You can't eat it either. It's on the restriction risk. It could cause fungal and bacterial infections. If you want to smoke it, you need to discuss this with your NP or Doctor. They will perscribe it.
Some plant based meds still scare me, like Digoxin (a heart med). My pharmacology teacher said Picasso ate the digoxin plant from his yard, hence the pretty pictures with halos. He was toxic.
I no longer am hacking up a lung and sending out ranbow colored sputum. I haven’t had a fever. I’m not breathing pneumonia breath.
My energy is coming back, and so is my hair. I’m about 40 days out of my transplant.
I’m able to eat honey buns again. It’s a scary day when I can’t even down a honey bun. That should warrant a call to the hospital.
Not for nothing, but please remember that I am saying these things so providers are educated and patients understand that their fears and instincts are not unique. No one is alone in how they feel. Someone somewhere has felt what you have before.

No comments: