Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Inspiration for Me

Okay, okay, okay. I’m going down memory lane today.
I’m going to post a very embarrassing picture from my youth. Front left to right: Cheryl (my roommate), me, Alanna, & Emily. Back row from left: Seival, Sophia, Kishauna (or KiKi), Sandrine & Laurette.
It’s all in the spirit of thanks and giving. Even in the post 9/11 era, it’s important to give back what you can.
I recognized the day after Sept. 11 that EMTs, nurses, doctors, etc. were allowed at ground zero. Reporters were not. I was a communications/journalism/design major in college at the time.
I get more access and information as a nurse than I ever would as a reporter.
I was not in Manhattan 9/11. I had plans to cut class and shop in NYC. I even told my family I would be downtown the night before.
I’d been living in Westchester for 3 weeks.
My family thought I was in downtown Manhattan when the planes hit.
Thank you Dr.RZ. I had an 8am class. I went since no college student in their right mind would get out of bed at 8.
I emailed my parents after the first plane hit, minutes before Manhattan, Westchester and wherever else lost all communication with the outside world.
I sat around watching TV with the class and Daisy, who is still my girl today.
Outside was gorgeous, but haunted by the silent sky sans airplanes and the never ending sirens.
The air smelled like death. NY did for months. I’ll never forget the smell.
I knew, despite my talents, some news channel would snatch my face up and put me in front of a camera. I’m not that cut-throat.
This is why I learned to design layouts for publishing, write grants to pay for my ideas, pen like a author, be a trusted confidant, one of the insiders in social circles. Most importantly, I learned to be a provider.
I want to do it all.
I’ve found inspiration from so many places: from books to teachers to doctors, but my favorite inspiration right now comes from the waiting room, sitting with the rest of the baldies.
Remember to enjoy your family this week.

No comments: