Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, November 22, 2008

I'm Driving The Nurses Crazy

I’m driving the nurses crazy.
All yesterday and all night long every time I bend my arm the alarm on my infusion pump will go off. The pump has a terrible screeching beep that gets louder and louder.
The first beep is tolerable, the second may send me over the edge.
“Partial occlusion” rolls across the screen, telling me the problem it wants fixed.
The damn thing will not stop screaming until it is fixed.
Gggrrrrrrr. I it’s driving me crazy and I can barely move my arm.
I hit restart, the noise goes away, and the pump starts dripping again.
Except, the nurses outside have all ready heard my pump go off.
They are all ready up and running around the unit sticking their ears to doors wondering whose patient it is with the bad pump.
They are all trying to fix my pump.
Except, by the time they get to the doors, the beeping is gone!
Hey all look at each other for a second and going back to their posts.
Then it happens again, over, and over.
Until my nurse realizes it’s probably me fixing the pump myself and they can just relax.
Sorry for the inconvenience ladies.

2 comments:

Frank said...

Stay strong Hill ... & know that a lot of us think of you often. And hope they let you out of that place toomorrow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

My comment pertains to your music, not this topic of driving the nurses crazy...
I'm reading your latest, and my 6 yr. old walked in and said "hey, Mom!! This SONG!! It's from Camp Rock!!" Too funny..she's seen the movie once, in addition to the commercials on Disney Channel! Just thought I'd share that moment with you!
-Heidi, the Zutter Cousin :)