Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Friday, November 21, 2008

I almost Incited a Riot


"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves. -mohandas gandhi"
I almost incited a riot yesterday waiting for my labs at DHMC.
Sometimes, when I get in a special mood, I do have concerns I will incite mass action.
I’ve made “Baldie’s Blog” business cards. I love them. I feel so professional.
Fake it until you make it, right?
I was sitting, waiting, in Norris Cotton’s lobby, talking to several other women in the same position as me.
We were telling funny stories. We were sick and silly.
As we started to disband, I told them about my blog and handed out the remaining cards I had.
Things changed after they read the title and my announcement “Real Women are Bald.” The rowdy group of woman I was talking to started jumping out of their seats. They started smiling.
THEN…They started whipping their hats and wigs off. One was waving it around in the air!
She told me, with attitude,“I only wear this because my head gets cold.”
YES! You rock it girl, and congratulations, yesterday was her final day of chemotherapy!
It felt like a scene in a movie. Despite how sick I was, I don’t think life can get much better.
I am having a problem deciding which graphic should represent my “professional” or “cancerlebrity” (my favorite word today) image. Please comment if you feel the cancer sucks icon or the silhouette is more appropriate.

1 comment:

emjay. said...

I like the figure, but I think she should be bald :)