Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Rock Your Ugly

Thank you Tyra for the idea.
Move over pretty, ugly is here.
Nobody is perfect, so rock your ugly.
Do you think you have flaws? Are you self conscious showing yourself for who you are?
Stop it and rock it.
Believe it or not, most don’t see the minute details you obsess about.
Women, unless you have a unibrow, men don’t really notice your eyebrows.
As far as I know, when I critique other women, I think about how gorgeous they are.
Take your flaws and flip the script. Your “flaws” make you unique.
My scars. My cancer. My bald head. I’m rocking it. I’m proud to be me, and I’ve never had anyone tell me they can’t handle it.
Maybe they have, but I didn’t hear.
I have had people point and stare.
This is EXACTLY why I rock my bald head. I want other people to feel comfortable with themselves during treatment.
I have broad shoulders. I want people to point and stare and hopefully facilitate a conversation about cancer.
A lot of beautiful people on the outside have a whole lot of ugly on the inside. It’s hard to see attractiveness when it’s ruined by a mean personality.
Cancer patients have enough to deal with and our body image should be low on the list.
But it’s not. Do what you have to do to be comfortable. It’s important you LOVE your body during this period, that you like every part and accept yourself as is.
It will help with your psychological warfare against your disease.
Words of wisdom for the day:
Pretty is out. Real women are in. Confidence is now. Rock your ugly.

1 comment:

emjay. said...

Hill there is nothing ugly about you!