Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm an Outlier


I’m an outlier, or something that does not belong among all the rationale data that shows a trend. I’m a weird category all of my own.
I’ve been reading “Outliers” by Gladwell and his perspective is to really integrate a person needs to immerse themselves somewhat in another culture.
I’m not saying go for the culture shock and drop yourself in the middle of Africa.
Expand your social circles to include everyone. Be comfortable diving into a whole new culture. Or at least make one friend who does not look, talk, or think like you. Don’t be afraid to embrace others into your life, and maybe push your way into theirs a little.
If you truly don’t belong there you’ll realize it eventually. It’s all about ego. Don’t be worried about the rejection. If you have the confidence to put yourself out there others will reflect that, having the confidence to accept you.
Oh, and having a sibling (especially a twin) or friend to fall back on is great! They give you that extra boost when you start to shy away from adventure.
It’s like “trust falls”… let yourself fall and trust that people will catch you. It’s an amazing experience when you realize just how many people will be there.
Or it could be like crowd surfing… trusting your well being to hundreds of total strangers takes some balls. I’ve done it twice. I’ve never been dropped. If you can rely on total strangers, how can you not rely on your friends, family, and acquiantances?
Okay, crowd surfing could be more like reckless abandon. You’re only young once.
I trust strangers all the time, with my life actually. It’s not something you are born with. It’s something you learn, maybe by necessity. Either way, it’s a good place to be. By Hill & Jill

No comments: