Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, December 29, 2008

RIGHT TO LIFE

Again, on the news people are risking their lives because they have no money for their health, such as insulin for diabetes.
Thank NBC’s nightly news for the following information from Dec. 29, 2008.
Jon stepped up in front of the camera to announce he stopped taking his medications for his diabetes due to his inability to pay for both his medications and food or clothing for his family.
One week later, he ended up emergently admitted to the hospital.
Eleven percent of Americans say they’re cutting back or splitting pills they are prescribed.
NBC Nightly News gave examples from all over the US.
The United States is also seeing a sudden drop in prescriptions, a phenomena that has NEVER occurred in history. There is also a spike in canceling doctor’s appointments, 36% of Americans have postponed healthcare due to inability to pay (Check to the right, people. See my list of blogs. Remember KARA, me, my husband, Sam, and on, and on, and on).
Now, as a result in people’s failure to maintain their appointments, there is a spike in emergency health care, ultimately raising health care costs for the individual, but if it is a choice between food, heat, and shelter, many are willing to take the risk and pray their health stands up.
This is clearly a choice made among adults who are caretakers of children who need to be fed and clothed prior to a parent who believes they can survive without their prescriptions, follow-up visits, etc.
This, I’m sure, puts providers in a difficult position where Doctors are making compromises in care based on patient’s personal financials.
Professionals KNOW what a patient NEEDS, but if they’re sitting in the exam room and a person is stating they CANNOT afford what they should have, something is better than nothing, and professionals will concede to a second, third, or fourth rate medication for a patient to receive ANYTHING affordable.
From what is happening in the United States today in health care as a repercussion of our failing economy, I think it is CLEAR health care is a NEED and a RIGHT (remember, we all have the “right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”) in America.
I beg and pray that this problem is solved BEFORE it evolves into a national health crisis alongside the economical disaster and instability we are all facing. You may want to pray too.

No comments: