Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Spreading Holiday Cheer

Here is one of my “parent stories” to spread some holiday cheer on this frigid winter day.
Thirty years ago, my father, being as smooth as he was, proposed to my mother by rolling over in bed and saying, “Maybe we should get married.”
My mom muttered “sure,” and that was that. They went to The Jewelry Exchange for her ring and made the wedding plans.
My mom has not forgotten that she got robbed with a dud proposal. My father decided it was time to sweep her off her feet.
They went to NYC last weekend, and my father, who discovered the Diamond District previously (the best place in the world to get diamonds), went and spoke with some Russian store owners.
My mom had always wanted a larger diamond.
Later that evening, mom had some time off from her conference and wanted to see the Christmas tree and decorations at Rockefeller Center. She loves Rockefeller center, in the evening, around Christmas.
While watching the lights, my father grabbed my mother’s hand, looked into her eyes, and dropped to his knee.
He said, “Nancy, I have loved and been dedicated to you for thirty years and I still love you as much and more than I did the day we married.”
He then brought out the ring and opened the box.
“Would you marry me again?”
My mom was crying, their friends were crying, and they had amassed a crowd of onlookers.
“Yes, of course” she stammered out.
My parents are officially, re-engaged. My mother is glowing.
I don’t know if this will lead to vow renewals at some point, but I think a celebration like that would be fun.
I love that Dad remembered it is important to court and flirt with a woman, even if she has been your wife for almost thirty years.
Happy Holidays.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your father will never admit to anyone that he actually did this...:)
Laura Z

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever heard!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome....brought happy tears to my eyes....... GO DAD!!!!