Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's Grow Time

This process occurred during my last transplant.
I think at about this period in my healing, after the amnesia started to ease, after the pain had decreased.
It represented an UPSWING in my health.
I’m not sure if it is part of the “normal progression.”
But I think it’s my normal progression.
It’s grow time.
My appetite has come back, and I’m eating like the ferocious newborn I am.
I can not get enough.
It feels like I just discovered how GREAT food is.
If you’ve known me a while, you might know how SERIOUSLY I take my food.
Do not mess with my food, do not get in my way of eating, you may lose a body part.
I have/had an appetite to be reckoned with.
I think this is my secret to being thin.
I eat A LOT, all day long, and then run it off with my activity. It keeps my metabolism running at the pace I like.
I’m now able to be more active also. I played video games with X, set the timer, gave him a bath with a good scrubbing, taught him how to throw things with his toes, and put him to bed all after 8pm last night. This is a SERIES of tasks! Previously, playing Mario Kart would be cause for exhaustion.
Anyway, I now eat before bed. Last night, it was two bowls of cheerios. Before that it was 3 brownies. Before that 3 cookies, a turkey club, a philly cheese steak, and on and on and on.
If anyone feels like cooking for us about now, it’d be a good time. I know everybody is busy with the holidays. I like Christmas cookies and fudge. I need some Ben & Jerry’s. Nuts are on the “no list,” but maybe this is negotiable for “Chunky Monkey.” I’ll have to ask.
Shepard’s pie, chicken, pasta, definitely pasta of all kinds, and PHILLY CHEESE STEAK are some ideas if anyone feels like cooking (hint, hint). I’m going to take a frozen cheese pizza and add philly cheese steak ingredients, that is actually some good food!
I like slacker cooking. For cookies, I take Betty Crocker’s premade cookie mix, add the ingredients, plus vanilla, and stash it in the cookie jar with a piece of bread.
Whala, it’s like grandma’s cookies without the work. I miss grandma’s cookies. One grandma is in FL for the winter (Hi Gram & Gramps!) and Grandma Ford died in July.
I think she haunts our kitchen. She’s looking out and speaking by making our lights flicker. I could really go for some of her spaghetti and meatballs. Yum.
So good news today!! It’s grow time.

1 comment:

emjay. said...

my great grandmother always said when she died she'd flick the lights when she was around and sure enough, she does it all the time!