Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Lost in Translation




When I moved to NY, I automatically hooked up with the “rude girls.”
You know the type: the loud, wild, rowdy college girls that like to celebrate their freedom Thurs. through Sunday.
Our first trip out was to Carib, a nightclub on North. St.
Being from NH, a country girl who was a little naïve, I didn’t think “Carib” meant anything.
It does. It’s a Caribbean club. Not that knowing would have stopped me, I immediately fell in love with the dance styles and the music. My CNR girls were a lot of fun.
Anyway, the DJ’s were always playing this song. I really liked the beat, but I had no idea what it was saying.
I would sing it and eventually I asked who it was by and where it came from. Thank goodness my friend’s intervened before I ran singing THAT around.
The title was “Chi Chi Mon,” and apparently, this is a gay man in Patwa.
I didn’t even know what Patwa was, but thank you ladies, I know now this is the dialect of English in Jamaica.
I was apparently spewing some hate that would never ever come out of my mouth otherwise.
This is how I started learning languages, through music. Then I had a lot of Jamaican friends. My BF sophomore year was Kisa (she liked to say it “Que ca?” as in “what’s that?” in french and creole in the loud bars to the boys).
She was from Jamaica Caribbean & Queens. We watched the same shows at the same time. We had the same classes. We liked the same food from the same places (Kennedy Chicken & Golden Crust anyone?) After a while, we discovered we wore the same underwear, just like us, in different colors.
We had the same attraction to the same type of man on the exterior. Ethnicity had nothing to do with it. I was in the process of “Dating the Rainbow,” which included picking a man to see I was interested in of every ethnic subgroup (only the clear basics: white, black, asian, Indian (I know, also Asian, but you get it.)
I learned a couple languages from my friends who translated the hate that was coming out of other people’s mouths about us or me.
The FCC apparently doesn’t speak anything I do. Some hospital’s do, but their educational materials certainly don’t.
If anyone has heard “I’m so Paid” by Akon and isn’t scared of what he is saying, you don’t know what he means. If you see the video, and still don’t get it, uh-oh.
Let me translate English, I call what he’s saying “Ameribonics.”
I didn’t realize until earlier this year that people didn’t understand this as a language and even what I was saying.
The song goes: “#1 hustler getting money why you want to count my money. I’m a hustler you know me down what you got you see. I’m the boss it only takes on call and try to hit you up and dump you off and that’s all. Guess what, I won’t be taking that call, Homey I got X what you think I’m paying them for? AH ha ain’t that funny, guerilla’s they want war but ain’t got money. Cause I see them all talk till they start gunning.. . . fastest thing running. . . I be getting’ it upfront. My little brother boo got the vision, baby.”
It gets a little fast in the …. Areas.
Anyway, he’s announcing he hustles his rap money back to Africa to fund guerilla warfare. As for “#1 hustler getting money,” his video shows him on a 25+ million dollar yacht selling diamonds (as in blood diamonds) to an uppity white woman.
“Why you wanna count my money” means “don’t you trust me?”
You know me down, as in, I can keep a secret.
Just in case the next portion isn’t clear, he won’t be getting his hands dirty. He is the hierarchy of the trade. He has fall guys and they have falls guys. He “mentions” someone is a problem to his wing men, and then that person goes away.
You feel me? This structure exists in many cultures. Akon’s the alpha male.
Then he goes on to mention it happens beyond the streets, which is generally where it ends in rap, but he commands international trade of goods, probably with contacts out of Senegal where he is from. Of course, he is much more of a hero here than you could imagine, making it big in America and all. He rules more than just Senegal.
My friend’s sister just got home from Senegal. I should hit her up for her stories. She’s an OB/GYN. I don’t know if she traveled with an agency, as in Doctors With Out Borders. With beauty and talent like hers, she may have been better off on her own to appear more native.
Scary, scary, scary. Moral of the story, sometimes people hear but don’t listen and often people see but don’t notice. This is a huge mistake people make. Open your eyes, and hopefully, you will see what you have been missing.

No comments: