Baldies' Blog began originally in the UK by a 26 year old journalist with a blood cancer on a mission to inform the world about bone marrow donation.

He has since died, and I took on the cause of making cancer care more transparent for everybody.

Cancer is a disease that will touch everybody through diagnosis or affiliation: 1 in 2 men will be diagnosed and 1 in 3 woman will hear those words, "You Have Cancer."

I invite you to read how I feel along my journey and
how I am continuing to live a full life alongside my Hodgkin's lymphoma, with me controlling my cancer, not my cancer controlling me.

I hope that "Baldies' Blog" will prepare you to handle whatever life sends you, but especially if it's the message, "You Have Cancer."

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Time to Share More

I think it’s time for me to share a little more.
Maybe you know, or maybe you don’t, but there are MANY MANY others out there in cyber space a lot like me. They are telling their stories in hope somebody will listen.
I certainly do. I analyze the people, like a mass meta analysis of the psyche of cancer patients, specifically, the young technologically savvy generation.
I’m interested in those like me, a rising casualty of the war on cancer. How does a diagnosis at a young age affect coping? The familial and support structure? Health based cooperation? How do you face a possibly fatal disease in the while having of an immortality complex that has not fully recovered from teenage years? What is the psyche in relation to disease as seen in your lat teen years and twenties?
Knowing this, people would be more able to support and encourage healthy lifestyle behaviors in accordance with the specific disease processes.
There has never been a point in history where psychological information of this magnitude has been so readily available and it saddens me deeply that I may not have the health and life span to adequately understand and share how to improve the quality of life among those like me.
A general theme of loss and grieving is clearly seen among all.
Many postings are peppered with announcements about the deaths of friends they have made within the treatment system.
Hospitals are a lot like high school, with different stratospheres based on roles, education, etc.
Having known about the provider’s side for a while, I am finding the patient’s far more interesting. The commonalities within their feelings and coping strategies, which crosses gender, social, and cultural lines, amazes me.
It appears, disease is the great equalizer of mankind.
Once I have time, I will begin posting the addresses so you can access the writing of these others. The writings of the original Baldy, has all ready been added under the heading “My Blog Picks.”
I have never read him per se. I have never fully read any of these patient’s postings.
Somebody else should.
I would not want to compromise my ideas with the influence of others who are so similar. I need to keep my perspective.
However, I invite you all too.
Baldy was my inspiration for the reason I understood exactly what he had set out to do and how he did it. I think of him more like a public martyr than another tragedy sacrificed to disease.
What his blog fails to give him credit for is his social savior faire and genius that made him so popular and respected as a person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lot of us share your interest in the coping mechanisms of people who face a life threatening illness ... for there really is very little difference between us. And while I don't believe anyone can ever fully appreciate the impact of a diagnosis of cancer can have, unless we've lived with it personally, what we can appreciate is the bravery & dignity of the young people we come into contact with who face challenges like you do ... you are not the 1st ... nor sadly, will you be the last ... but you & others like you, inspire those around you.

Take it from someone who's been around for a long time ... & who believes you are going to fullfill your promises. I fully believe you will achieve "the health and life span to adequately understand and share how to improve the quality of life among those like me." What you are doing, is just that. And for what it's worth.

I think the original Baldie would feel pleased that you picked up what he started & while you've added your own individual personality, I would bet he would be grateful that you are doing it.

F